This "unbearable" event is a unique opportunity to show your bravery as you support local Special Olympics athletes by walking, running or crawling into the frigid winter waters. In 2017, Lake of teh Ozarks Plunge had 15 Super Plungers and 307 plungers and raised more than $128,000! This one-of-a-kind event promises a fun atmosphere complete with music, crazy costumes and lasting memories for everyone!
Proceeds benefit Special Olympics Missouri’s year-round program of sports training and competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. SOMO exists to provide year-round sports and training opportunities for individuals with intellectual disabilities and our athletes need you to get involved. Become a coach, volunteer, recruit a future athlete and learn how you can make a difference!
Location: Lake of the Ozarks Public Beach No. 2, Osage Beach, MO
Date: Feb. 23-24, 2018
JOIN US FRIDAY, FEB. 23:
Support one of our 18 brave Super Plungers as they take to the water not once, but 24 times in 24 hours. The Super Plunge begins at 3:30 p.m.
Do you have a kiddo who would love to be part of the Plunge? Children up to 9 years old can participate in the Pee Wee Plunge at 6:30 p.m. at the Osage Beach Fire Dept - Fire House #2 on Hwy KK. We will have a heated tent with a pool for the kiddos to Plunge in. There is a $25 registration fee and each “Pee Wee” will receive an official event T-shirt. If your Pee Wee decides to fundraise, and they raise $100, they will receive a fun Polar Plunge prize as well. If you would like to register your child online, please click JOIN TEAM on the Pee Wee team page. For more info, please contact Crystal at 573-635-1660.
PLUNGE/STRUT DAY SCHEDULE: SATURDAY, FEB. 24
Polar Bear Strut registration begins at 8:30 a.m. at the Osage Beach Police Department. The Strut will start at 10 a.m.
Polar Plunge registration will open at noon, with the Parade of Costumes beginning at 2 p.m. and the Plunge beginning at 2:30 p.m.
Party: Plunge doesn’t end at the beach this year! Join us at Tan-Tar-A for the best plunge after party from 4 – 7 p.m. This year, special guest Kricket Alley will be performing along with the best silent/live auctions! Appetizers, 2 drink tickets, live entertainment by one of the best bands at the Lake and loads of fun will be free for Plungers and $10 for guests. Make plans now so you don’t miss out! Special Polar Bear lodging rates are available for $80 per night. Call 1-800-TAN-TARA or visit www.tan-tar-a.com.
Parking for the Plunge is at Public Beach #2/Grand Glaize Beach. Once the lower lot is full, the park staff will start directing people to Pa He Tsi and shuttle buses will take you down to registration.
Sign up for text alerts! We’ll text you if there are urgent announcements for the Plunge. Text PLUNGELOZ to 51555. Standard messaging rates apply.
WHAT DO I DO WITH THE MONEY I HAVE RAISED (CASH AND CHECKS)?
You can turn in your money at check-in/registration before the plunge begins. Speed up your check in process by converting any change into cash. We will add this money to the amount you have raised online to determine your prize levels. Keep raising money up until plunge day! The week of the event is when you can raise the most money. It is a great time to email your friends and family - as the temperatures drop outside they will be likely to donate to you - a wild plunger who is willing to take a risk to show that you support Special Olympics athletes. Our athletes are faced with many obstacles; through their spirit we are all inspired. The least we can do is run in some cold water!
WHAT TO BRING:
1. All the money you have collected offline.
2. A towel to dry off after you take the PLUNGE! Our athletes will be on the beach to hold your towel while you take the plunge. We know you are cold and excited but please remember to use all baskets and then be courteous when looking for your towel after your big dip! Don’t forget to grab your towel before you head off to change.
3. Footwear! All Plungers are required to wear footwear in the water.
4. Your costume! Be part of the Golden Plunger contest. We will have a parade of costumes as part of our Polar Plunge this year. The parade will start at 2 p.m. Participants can only be judged in one category. Golden Plungers (the winners) will be awarded at the Post Plunge Party. You must at least wear a swimsuit. Please remember this is a family friendly event! All costumes/team names must be courteous and appropriate for everyone.
5. Bring a change of warm clothes. There are men and women's changing tents available for you to put on your costume, change after the plunge and warm up.
THINGS TO KNOW
- The Osage Beach PD will be hosting a food tent, with all proceeds coming back to SOMO. Please make plans to stop by for a burger or hot dog!
- Just a reminder: Per state park policy, alcoholic beverages will be allowed only in the designated picnic areas. Alcoholic beverages will not be permitted in any parking area or the Plunge event area.
- Invite your family and friends to come and experience the Plunge with you!
- Official Polar Plunge souvenirs will be available for purchase so don’t forget a little extra spending money.
- Photos from the event will be posted on our Flickr page after the event. We are looking for additional photographers and videographers. If you know someone who would be interested in volunteering for this, email us!
- If you are unable to attend for any reason, please let us know.
CAN I ADD MORE TEAM MEMBERS?
Yes! Online registration is still open, but we recommend bringing a printout of your fundraising page on plunge day to ensure new team members get credit for their donations. We also welcome walk-up participants with cash and checks.
CAN I GET INVOLVED WITH SPECIAL OLYMPICS BEYOND THIS EVENT?
YES! Please don't let this be the only time we see you. Our athletes would love the chance to thank you personally for all you've done to make training and competition possible for them. Visit www.somo.org and check out the Central Area page to see a calendar of upcoming events and competitions. We always need great volunteers and fans at our events.